Am I allowed to perform in a specific country?

  • Posted on: 28 January 2020
  • By: Eileen Möller

EU citizens can perform in any other EU member state as an employee or as a self-employed person without any prerequisites (freedom of movement). Non EU-citizens need to check if they need a work permit in the country they want to perform in. This also applies to those non-EU citizens who are long-term residents in a EU member state if they want to work in another member state. While the issuance of entry visas is harmonised in the Schengen Area, work permits are still a national issue, regulated by each country individually. Note that the United Kingdom is very strict on this issue: non-EU citizens need a Certificate of Sponsorship (work permit) for all artistic activities, even if they are unpaid. This could also be implemented for EU citizens after the UK has left the EU. For performances outside the EU, thorough research is recommended to determine if an entry visa and a country-specific work permit is needed.
Questions? Sign up for a free consultation with the touring artists helpdesk.